Friday, July 20, 2007

Why I Love Liz

Elizabeth Curtis Higgs. Liz, she'd say. Her path crossed mine through her wonderful writings at Christianity Today about ten months ago. At that times I wondered why they set one special section about her namely "A Life with Liz". Going through her writings proved to be one of the things I really needed at that time. As I went through each article day by day, I received some consolations that helped to keep me going. She brought smiles and laughters, amazed me with how deep she actually is despite always portraying herself as humorous and funny. I sent her a note and guess what I received a couple of weeks after that? Her card. With her own writing and signature. Funny, the card carried my name. It is the title of her latest book. It was the Lord who crossed our path together.


When I first read her writing, I envied her. A lot. For her life that seems so joyful and all. A truly gifted writer, married to her wonderful Bill, a mother of two great children with her clear calling as a speaker of God's love. But later as the more I read her articles, they revealed of her dark past. Now, this is a person who truly understands the meaning of God's grace... I see grace as her theme everywhere in her writings. As she was redeemed from her eternal death she has been setting her heart on the mission her Lord Jesus Christ entrusted to her. An encourager. Funny, because that is what I have always been hoping to be in this life and here is the true example for me. Thank you dear Lord...

She loves everything about Scotland and Celtic. I couldn't believe my luck! Here is someone who writes some famous books that portray beautiful Scotland as her background. Even her non-fiction ones are about characters from the Bible, such Leah, Rachel and Jacob had setting in the wild land of Scotland. I never knew someone so in love with Celtic like her. That makes me love her even more because she must understand my considered funny choice by many people (men in skirt?! Get real, girl...)!

Liz' ministry is to women. Dear Lord, this is scary. Uhm... I mean, "WOW!" How are You going to surprise me more, Lord? Liz writings are always about women. Her focus is on the lives of women. Her mission is to bring the Lord's light to the lost women. Something I have always been interested in and doing it although I just realized it quite recently. For certain reasons I have no interest in ministering to men, unless it relates to the women in their lives or unless it is about my men. Liz has many great ways in showing me to how follow her step and share her unbelievable experiences dealing with women from many different backgrounds.

Liz loves Indonesia. She wanted to be a missionary for Indonesian people when she was saved at the age of 27. Dear Lord, don't You think I'd better stop it here before it gets more weird? Great. Thank you, Lord.

Hope to see you one day, my big (and 'big') sister in Christ, until then God be with you always!

No comments: